Forum Sementara Putera.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forum Sementara Putera.com

Bersama kita perkemaskan forum ini sementara forum asal dalam pemulihan.

Forum putera dah kembali. Masalah sudah berjaya diselesaikan. Sila lawati http://forum.putera.com/tanya

+16
kindaichi_hajime
sementara_waktu
betik
akumegumi
amduron
haziqnet
jiem^antinongamerz
kox_metal
MalaYneuMaya
Batista
need
szainizam
teri-chan
crazy_labelle
antara21
yurckk
20 posters

Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling?

antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Number of posts : 318
    Registration date : 13/02/2009

Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling? - Page 3 Empty Re: Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling?

Post by antara21 Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 am

betik wrote:Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling?

besides the seemingly regular yet marvellous "read, listen, speak, write" and "identify your stumbling blocks and remove them", there're some more splendid rules which ought to be observed...

1st rule: stop these language prostitutions a.k.a Manglish, Singlish and whatever X-lish we could found out there...

2nd rule: stop all those nuisances called SMS-written posts..

3rd rule: don't beat me up upon suggesting all the above rules unless you want to end up wasting your time in ICU for the next couple of months unable to chew down your meals while scraching your paralized legs with your bandaged hands.. Very Happy

//really, just use proper English on a daily basis...everyone should go from hell to hell before we could reach the heaven of eloquent English...and i'm still trapped in this hell ... No

man...i think the word 'prostitutions' is quite harsh to be used here, and specifically in this context..just an opinion, where i see the term pidginization or creolization can be a good substitute. ^^

and nobody's going to beat you for throwing out your opinions and suggestions... with all the clauses and co-ordinating sentences you have within the third line, it shows that you have good english. hence, there's no vulgaric pace (i perhaps) that people can walk on to question the way of thinking of the like of you. =)
    amduron
    amduron
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Registration date : 22/02/2009

Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling? - Page 3 Empty Re: Suggestion to improve your grammar and spelling?

Post by amduron Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 am

Yes, second that. Everybody tend to this "mistake" syndrome but somehow still learning. So it will be nice to learn in whatever ever means that are proper for the learner. We are learning too!
    betik
    betik
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Number of posts : 204
    Registration date : 15/03/2009

Post by betik Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:47 pm

haha...maybe it's a bit too harsh...or maybe it's a plain harsh or way beyond the scrootching harsh..
    i intended to make it looks filthy, so much so we don't even want to think about it...
    anyhow, Manglish/Singlish and prostitution can be lined side by side, if you know what i'm saying Very Happy...

concider these sentences:
    "Hey! You want to go for a dinner with me?"
    "Hey! Go dinner with me don't want ah?"

1) the first sentence is in standard form (innocent as it is)..
    2) but the later is a bit off (i.e: no commitment, no proper rule, no responsibility, only a price to pay in exchange with bad results in any test/working paper/etc...
    just like prostitution...we don't have to have any commitment or eesponsibility, there's no rule except some silly rules if there's any, and we have to pay knowingly we're in risk of having a bad medical test results)...

then try to use SMS-written form for the added stinking flavour...
    "hey! go dinr wif me dun won r?"...now it looks like annoying prostitutions in our society Very Happy..

i too enjoy suka-suka using broken english what Very Happy...
    but as this topic speaks clearly for itself, any broken English must be avoided...

let's create another thread for "broken English only" if we couldn't refrain ourselves...I'd be happy to join and 'break' any language as many as it could be Very Happy...just like the 'ol time Very Happy..

//usually i'm always love to have my silly arguements blanketly shrouded my intentions...but this time, i feel the urge to explain myself...
    hopefully no one will get offended...and i'm sorry for using the harsh term...
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:24 pm

ahaks...yeah, i got your point. and i guess others, too, realized what you are trying to say. thanks for the examples that clearly show the reality. and with that i thank you.

anyway, feel free to urge more of yourself. i believe under the blanket that shrouds your words...behind the cape or veil that covers your thoughts, there are countless significant and relevant points upon mind-our-English matter that you treasure for later. hehe...
    amduron
    amduron
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by amduron Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Oh never mind that, whatever urges you to do so please feel free to express your thought. We are learning, simply 'mind what you say and say what you mind', enjoy learning people!
    betik
    betik
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by betik Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:39 am

antara21 wrote:i believe under the blanket that shrouds your words...behind the cape or veil that covers your thoughts, there are countless significant and relevant points upon mind-our-English matter that you treasure for later. hehe...
    haha...there's nothing left up my sleeve...
    err hold on...there's nothing up my sleeve all along! Very Happy...i just chimed in once in a while doing what i do best...spamming...hahah
    amduron wrote:please feel free to express your thought.
    err..right now, i really need to use the toilet... Very Happy

guess it's time for me to dust my brain off and start posting something useful instead of keeping the mods fume at all my spamming Very Happy...
    so back on track, how on earth are we going to make oursleves competent in English?...one word per day, i presume?...

today's word is: recalcitrate

verb
    - show strong objection or repugnance; manifest vigorous opposition or resistance; be obstinately disobedient;
    "The anti-Cekodok movement, leads by a famous Malay social anthropologist recalcitrated against a new law that requires Malaysians to consume at least 2 cekodoks per day" Very Happy
    teri-chan
    teri-chan
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by teri-chan Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 pm

wah.. big word! hehehe.... more words pls... eh we cant create broken english thread right? darn.. i wish we can huhuhu...
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:07 pm

goodness gracious me! what a caring society we have here. love to be with you guys. and betik, your are not spamming i perhaps, maybe that's what we call sharing. ehehe.

now, now.. since you have enclosed a sort of vocab-of-the-post idea... i hope others too will post more useful words... the path is ready..just walk this way~ ^^
    amduron
    amduron
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by amduron Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:14 pm

ahahahaha @betik, stop pulling my leg, hahaha!! (i love this kind of learning, hehe..)
    sementara_waktu
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 03/03/2009

Post by sementara_waktu Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:36 am

Hi guys.... just want to share something that has been bothering me for sometime because this mistake was all over the internet.

is it BARE in mind or BEAR in mind?

the answer is BEAR in mind. BEAR means to hold or carry some thought in mind. not a grizzly bear

BEAR also mean to force one's way against resistance, to move with effort, persistence
    eg. please 'bear' with me.

BARE means nude affraid don't use 'bare' unless u're a nudist pale

lol!
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:03 pm

well maybe some people are trying to use pun..hehe..but of course in the wrong context, at the wrong time..^^
    betik
    betik
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by betik Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm

or maybe they're suffering from dyslexia... Very Happy

i once had a friend with this sydrome(is it a syndrome?)...
    with his acute typ0 error proneness, he'd found spell-checker always come in handy...unfortunately, there's no "mind-checker" to compensate his spelling abilty(which is more like writing disaster; i.e: spelling error, awkward hadwriting, etc) with ingenious suggestions to let him truely express what's on his mind...i mean, dyslexia makes him unable to differentiate between bare and bear, goat and got , etc and etc, which never been underlined as spelling error by any spell-checker...

in my friend's case, he can read fairly well but smashing his head off the keyboard(or table Very Happy, if he occasionally need to write by hand) when it comes to spelling/writing...was he dyslexic or was he not?...hmmm

//he'd passed away years ago in an accident...al-fatihah..
    sementara_waktu
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 03/03/2009

Post by sementara_waktu Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 am

Difficulty to write
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:56 am

al fatihah to your friend, betik.
    um... dyslexia is not something that should be taken for granted... i as a teacher trainee, a teacher to-be, whatever,..always stumble into such matter. well, in my case, it is considered a learning problem... pity them ya..

anyway, spell-checker? you should not rely too much on machines... they don't have heart and emotion...huhu.. yeah, error analysis theory...but bear in mind that everybody has their own affective filter, which, in a way can contribute to learning difficulties~...hm..
    betik
    betik
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by betik Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:22 pm

good catch, sementara_waktu...never heard of dysgraphia before...huhu...
    awlays thought he was dyslexic in some way or another...so it was dyslexic dysgraphia that proved to be too anonymous back then, eh?...
    heck! even "dyslexia" sounded like a delicous concoction to me on the first time i stumbled upon that term in early 2000s while carelessly browsing some peculiar magazines at an old book-store waiting for my friend to get through his weekly hair-cropping (yep! weekly as to keep his head alive in this sultry Malaysia's climate i guess Very Happy)...

antara21 wrote:um... dyslexia is not something that should be taken for granted... i as a teacher trainee, a teacher to-be, whatever,..always stumble into such matter. well, in my case, it is considered a learning problem... pity them ya..
    DISCLAIMER: old man's grumble ahead...proceed at your own risk Very Happy...
    //------------------------ rant ----------------------------
    to make things worse, "dyslexia"(or "dyslexic dysgraphia" in his case) was fully known as "bengap" by teachers accross Malaysia during those days...some teachers would kept howling "lembap" at his ears while the others kept shouting "bodo per lembu"(i.e: "bodoh macam lembu") straight at his face, which utterly took their toll on him...
    so we made a "pretty scar"of straight lines from one end to another end of a teacher's brand new Iswara...there were 3 of us, so 1 adidas stripe on that car! (i know i know, it was wrong, but that was the trend to get back at teachers, wasn't it? and it still do Very Happy)...
    //-------------------- end of rant ------------------------

teachers nowadays are not ignorant of "dyslexia" anymore...it's really a bless...i know you would be a great teacher one day...
    and keeping you car out of scratch Very Happy...

so what was the topic again?...ah! how could we improve grammar and spelling, right?...having the fond of making off-topic posts, i should earn my warning points sooner or later Very Happy...
    to keep this thread going on track, without further ado, it's me signing off from this thread all together...
    salam... drunken
    yurckk
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Number of posts : 227
    Registration date : 17/02/2009

Post by yurckk Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 am

@Off a bit

Often watch over the talk show on TV; (http://www.tv.com/shows/top-shows/talk-shows/13/today.html)
    If you can understand them, you've made an improvement.
    And also if you can understand their jokes you are rocks.
    Good if you can make jokes in english Very Happy
    kindaichi_hajime
    kindaichi_hajime
    Ahli Rajin
    Ahli Rajin

Number of posts : 1012
    Job/hobbies : Tengok bintang2..
    Registration date : 25/04/2009

Post by kindaichi_hajime Fri May 01, 2009 2:01 am

for me..try to talk and write as much as possible!
    make english as ur 'major language'..
    and don't forget to buy grammar book at nearest bookstore..
    it is important coz language without grammar is NOTHING!
    gain ur vocabulary with selected dictionary..
    tips : buy oxford english-english dictionary..its reallyyyy helpfull!
    teri-chan
    teri-chan
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by teri-chan Sat May 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Argh thank you guys keeping english thread alive. Well, i'm kinda worst at writing. But i think i've mentioned here somewhere that reading and listening is the best way to improve english in speaking and writing.
    kindaichi_hajime
    kindaichi_hajime
    Ahli Rajin
    Ahli Rajin

Number of posts : 1012
    Job/hobbies : Tengok bintang2..
    Registration date : 25/04/2009

Post by kindaichi_hajime Sun May 03, 2009 1:14 am

u too teri-chan..
    i'm also kinda worst at writing..
    yup..reading is the BEST method!
    teri-chan
    teri-chan
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by teri-chan Sun May 03, 2009 9:34 am

Of course! Since i left uitm my english got worst n worst coz i'vent got a chance to practice it. Yes i do deals with foreigner but it would be much nicer if i cn practice the language evryday. Unlike my arabic, i think it already gone in a drain hehehe.
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 am

haha... good to be here again. ^^ try to avoid 'localized-english'. u know, Manglish, Singlish, etc... huhu.. once it becomes a habit (to use manglish or such), it'll be pretty difficult to drop it. haha..my bad, my bad. =]
    teri-chan
    teri-chan
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by teri-chan Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 am

hahaha... guess it's already in me heheheh... my english got covered with manglish and singlish hahhaa..

it's a habit maaa..
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 am

it's gonna take a hefty..sum..of effort to reset a habit. same here, Manglish and broken english are my specialities.. just like the song "can't take my eyes off you"..heee
    myee
    myee
    Ahli
    Ahli

Registration date : 18/04/2009

Post by myee Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:08 am

second here....
    antara21
    antara21
    Ahli Baharu
    Ahli Baharu

Post by antara21 Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 pm

try Scrabbles!!! that board game is really helpful. put a trust in it and you'll improve your language. ^^

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:42 pm